Monday, July 11, 2011

The Steps to a Happy Day

Every day at work I hear what others think of my attitude. I either hear "Your attitude is so refreshing! Your a ray of sunshine!" or "Is there vodka in your water bottle?" (or "Are you on something?"). Every day I get up and I wear a smile on my face. Because I am happy.

I am literally happy all the time! I always appreciate it when people let me know that they enjoy my attitude and that they like seeing a happy cashier. It just always bugs me that there are just as many people who are shocked by my happiness. It's shocking that happiness isn't seen as much as it should be. It's really NOT that hard to be happy. Everyone thinks it is but it isn't.

The key to happiness is to believe you can be happy. When you wake up in the morning, greet the dawn with "This is gonna be a great day". The attitude you wake up with is the attitude you have all day.

The second key to happiness is to not let people get you down. It's very true, smile at your enemies... it confuses them. If someone is REALLY pissing you off. Grin at them and give them the response exactly the opposite of what they are wanting you to respond with. Offer a hug! If you are willing to hug someone and let them know that they just don't know how to respond.

The third key is to find an outlet! If someone does piss you off, royaly, do what ever makes you feel better. It has to be something you can do in public though! My thing is to sing or chant! When the world has me down, I'm tired, or just don't feel good, I will starting humming or singing a chant that I know that puts me in a good mood. If you like poetry write a poem on the sketch pad of your mind. If you like to fight pretend like there is a video playing in your head of you kicking the ass of the person pissing you off. If there is a particular movie that you know by heart, start watching it in your head. Meditate if you want! Just find something that eases your mind and do it!

The last step is to think of your life. Compare it to a person who you know is worse off then you. No matter how sucky your day is, I promise it can be worse. It does not matter how bad your day is, as long as it is better then your worst day then it is a good day. One of my fave self qoutes is "You could die any second why die with a frown on your face." And another one is "Today might suck but tomorrow could suck worse so enjoy today while you can."

A day is like a canvas. You paint it all day long, but ultimately at the end of the day you can do one of three things. You can throw the canvas out the window, out of sight out of mind, and start over. You can pull out white paint and paint over it, the old painting is still there and that layer effects the future painting but it does not effect the picture as a whole. Lastly you can keep the painting, and hang it on the wall to stare at day in and day out. If you don't like the painting though then why would you keep it on the wall? If you like flowery pictures why keep a painting of zombies? If you like pictures of death then why keep a painting with figures that look like teletubies?

Follow these and it isn't hard to wear a real smile on your face every day. Some days it is HARD, but it is possible. Sometimes you will get so stressed out that you sit in a corner in cry, but ulitmately it is up to you to get your ass up, wipe away the tears, and face the sun with blurry vision and a smile just as bright as the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment